It’s only the second week in July—where did summer go—and most media operations kick back into high gear with a full staff in six weeks or less.
42 days or less.
Sorry to ruin your summer, but are you ready?
Is that to-do list you created at the end of last semester finished or close to finished?
Some thought starters in case you forgot:
- Recruitment meeting is set, flyers ready, social media posts planned, info is with key faculty members?
- Documents & website updated—new officers, new schedule, new by-laws, new training manual?
- Swag ordered and delivered before everyone gets back?
- First meeting planned out with icebreakers, long and short term planning, goals and objectives?
- Any facility/studio projects completed & ready for any needed staff training?
- Needed equipment ordered (headphones, mics, cameras, etc.)
- Introduced yourself (and your other student leaders) to the key players on campus (President, department Chair, Dean, Alumni Association Director, Student Government officers & board, building coordinator)?
- Filled out any needed paperwork to register you club/org with campus offices?
- Do you have enough organization letterhead, envelopes, business cards, office supplies, banners and mic flags to get you through at least the first semester?
That will get you started and help brainstorm some more specific to your operation.
The key to getting off to a great start and being able to spend enough time recruiting/training/networking with newcomers is to have as many of the logistical items crossed off your list before the semester starts.
Enjoy a few days of sunshine and relaxation, but not too many if you want to get off on the right foot as a student leader.