“Looks amazing! I can’t wait to go and check out some of these panels with the rest of the staff.”
That is an actual quote from one of my students. It was in an email this student sent me after taking a look at the schedule for the National Student Electronic Media Convention (NSEMC). It is not the first time someone has expressed this kind of enthusiasm to me when it comes to the NSEMC, and I don’t think it will be the last.
Simply put, attending the NSEMC is one of the best investments you will make this academic year. If you are involved with student-run electronic media, there is no better value in terms of time and money than this annual convention. I have yet to have any student tell me that attending the NSEMC was a waste of time. Through the years, they have found the experience to be not only valuable, but essential to becoming more effective student leaders and better at their student media jobs.
With the early-bird deadline for registration just a week away (the deadline for the lowest rate of $100 for members is Oct. 2!), now is a good time to take a peek at some of the things that are in store for NSEMC 2017. A few highlights include:
- Incredible Sessions! With more than 100 sessions and panels scheduled, you will find plenty of topics that interest you. Check out the awesome line-up of sessions that CBI has put together here: https://www.askcbi.org/sanantonio/sessions/.
- Improve Your Media Outlet. The NSEMC’s Video/TV and Radio/Audio Clinics are unique opportunities for a one-on-one (or group) meeting with an adviser from another student media outlet. The adviser will help you gain new insights into the questions and challenges faced by your media operation. You don’t have to go it alone! Sign up now to reserve your timeslot.
- Become A Better Music Programmer. For 2017, we’ve incorporated MusicMaster’s highly successful Genius Day workshops into a series of sessions on Thursday, Nov. 2. Even if you don’t have MusicMaster at your station, you will benefit from the many music scheduling and programming tips you’ll learn throughout the day.
- You’ll Laugh. You’ll Cry. You’ll Cheer. Whether you are a nominee or not, you don’t want to miss The National Student Production Awards on Saturday afternoon. Held right after the keynote address, you’ll see and hear the very best the student media world has to offer.
- Get Ready to Impress. Back by popular demand, the NSEMC will feature private resume and demo reviews with award-winning radio report Glenn Schuck from America’s most listened to all news radio station, 1010 WINS in New York City. Space is limited, so sign up now. And don’t miss career-focused sessions like Getting Your First Job in TV, Breaking Into Sports Media and Working with Boomers.
- Media Tours. CBI has secured three tours of media facilities in San Antonio. Registration is now open online.
- Make New Friends. Whether you are a student, adviser, faculty member or industry professional, the NSEMC is an excellent place to connect with peers who share your interests and understand your struggles. Come ready to build a network of support and inspiration.
- It’s San Antonio! The convention hotel is right on the famous Riverwalk, and from The Alamo to the San Antonio Museum of Art to Market Square, there is plenty to see and do after convention hours. Plus Mi Tierra is open 24 hours!
Each year the NSEMC keeps getting better. So if you haven’t already, make your plans now to join your fellow CBI members at NSEMC 2017. Again, the early bird registration deadline is Monday, Oct. 2. Visit https://www.askcbi.org/sanantonio/convention-registration/ to register.
I look forward to seeing you in San Antonio!